2010年12月21日火曜日

Frank Lloyd Wright | Robie House 1910

Frank Lloyd Wright Robie House 1910

Frank Lloyd Wright : At the age of 8, I knew I wanted to be an architect. I was 10 years old when my mother first taught me about Frank Lloyd Wright. He was the 1st architect I would ever learn about. I learnt much more about his works later on when I was studying architecture in university.

I became fascinated by his architecture and his philosophies on space, form and nature. I learnt about so many modern architects but no one ever stood out like FLW to me. I was utterly captivated by his ingeniousness.

Frank Lloyd Wright Robie House 1910


When I was in Chicago, I had the privilege to visit his ‘prairie houses’ in person. I had seen and studied a lot of his works through books but nothing compared to seeing them in person. You do not necessarily have to love FLW’s taste in design, colours and form but I think when you understand the principles behind his architecture you realize what a genius he was and how ahead of his time he often was.

If you drive through Oak Park and do not recognize his buildings, you would think some of them were designed in the 70s most likely_ but they were all built between 1890-1910_ a time when Victorian houses with pitched roofs were being erected.

The most fascinating thing about FLW is how his architecture always evolved and how his career spanned over 70 years. His understanding of space and form in unison with nature (organic architecture) was complimented by his great knowledge in engineering and structural integrity_ he was a true Master.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿